Sunday, October 9, 2016

Cloudy Musings #2: Textbook Woes & Kdramas

The first time I wrote one of these posts, I kept it relatively straightforward with brief thoughts that I jotted down in response to the various books I'd read recently. This time around, I've decided to merge with the monthly recaps, instead of keeping a fastidious record of all the books I've read, seeing as you can find that on my Goodreads instead quite honestly.

I started up school last month, and it's approximately been a full month since my new semester started, as evidenced by the agonizing exams I've taken the past week. Besides the mournful lack of free time to enjoy life, college has also wounded me quite deeply with all of the books and supplies that I've had to buy. Trust me on this, but my bank account has never looked so ragged. Math lectures in the morning can be torturous, but try taking an exam at 8:40 in the morning...it's one of the most painful things I've done here in college. I get to dabble in German again, which I last took two years ago, so I'm fumbling there but I do have the loveliest professors and it's a welcome break from the math-intensive courses I have for my major.

I unfortunately didn't read much the past few weeks, but I'm slowly regaining my momentum for reading. First and foremost, I consumed the Lucky Harbor series by Jill Shalvis, which is a set of contemporary romance novels set in a charming little town known as Lucky Harbor. It's certainly not a read I pick up for the intrigue, but they remind me of meringues, so fluffy and charming you can't help but pick up another one. I also read Lauren Layne's latest Wedding Planners book, To Love and to Cherish, which was my favorite of the trilogy, with a slow burn chemistry between the two characters that I really liked. The true star of my latest reads however was Vicarious by Paula Stokes, which utterly destroyed me and I am still in recovery over its thrilling ending. I also had the fabulous opportunity to meet the  author and she was the sweetest person ever. It's possibly my sole five star read of the year (excluding some author favorites), so that's very telling of how high it fell on my scale of esteem. Another golden one was Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones; an utterly gorgeously written fantasy retelling type of story, the romance and intimate scenes were on par for YA, I'm very excited for the sequel I've already prepared my full moon sacrifices for these characters.

On the guilty pleasures side of things, I did watch a ton of TV, enough to be almost ashamed of. I've recently immersed myself in the world of kdramas again, largely in thanks to my friends Sue and Alysia. I was watching Scarlet Heart Ryeo with a handful of friends, but I've tragically fallen far behind, despite how tempting Prince So is. My favorite dramas from the past month have definitely been Bring It On, Ghost!(the cutest ghost/ghost-banisher duo fighting ghosts with maximum creepy and adorable fluff vibes) and Shopping King Louis (chaebol shopaholic amnesiac meets honest hardworking girl + hijinks + Seo In Guk). I also binged my way through Descendants, which was soo pretty and enjoyable albeit the somewhat questionable plot especially the secondary leads of Kim Ji Won and Jin Gu. I adored those two characters they gave me such a toothache with their sweet angst and pain. Coincidentally, this kdrama phase has been quite the nostalgic one harkening back to my first kdrama phase, especially as Seo In Guk was my favorite after Reply 1997 (such a good drama guys you have no idea how much I loved this one) and I adored Kim Ji Won in What's Up (she was in a much more tragic OTP thank goodness for this happier one), with both of these shows airing around four/five years ago.


I hope you've had a lovely month as well, and here's to a fun October to us all, even though I'm plagued by the terrible reality of a certain presidential candidate and his truly heinous behavior. I'm going to be so thankful once this election has passed, since I'm holding out hope that America won't let me down.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that school is being really tough at the minute, I've always wanted to learn German at school, but just didn't get around to picking it up as a subject :( I hope things get a lot more easier for you. I'm glad though that you've been reading some great books, I have a copy of To Love and Cherish, and can't wait to get to it more now knowing how much you enjoyed it! I also really need to get to Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series, I need cute fluffy books in my life right now! I hope you have a great month! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! To Love and Cherish is definitely a cute book I'm glad that I had the chance to pick it up, it's truly adorable! Jill Shalvis definitely hits the nail on cutesy books and I do hope you get a chance to read them!!

      Delete