Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Books that Deserve to Be Hyped

As part of today's Top Ten Tuesday, "Top Ten Books We Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads," hosted by The Broke and the Bookish I scrounged through my shelves and found some hidden gems that I would really like more people to read. It's really not fun to fangirl about a book if no one has read it, isn't it?


1. Every Series by Ellie Marney

Inspired by the Sherlock-Watson duo, this book features James Mycroft (named after the smarter Holmes of course) and Rachel Watts, who not only are witty and sharp, but also share some palpable chemistry together. Being Aussie lit, it has very true-to-life characters, and while it is part YA romance, it does not hesitate with the gritty mystery. The sparks that fly between Rachel and James are not to be missed especially *coughs loudly* a certain shower scene.

2. Don't Touch by Rachel M. Wilson

I was rather captivated by the gorgeous cover, but my friend Sue's glowing review of this sold me on picking this book up. It's heartbreaking to read about Caddie, who has OCD, but I was sucked in by the eloquent writing and the way the author weaved in Hamlet and Ophelia's tale into the fabric of the story. The romance in this was touching and ultimately hopeful, similar to how this book was written.

3. Summer Skin by Kirsty Eagar

Summer Skin is one of my favorite books this year. I've been reading more Aussie YA beginning this year, and I was blown away by how much I enjoyed this book. Kirsty Eagar nails the themes of sex positivity, feminism, and realistic relationships, but also manages to make me love the characters so much. I adore Jess's fiercely lovable character, and her friends + Mitch, whose flaws made him all that much real to me.



4. Conspiracy Girl by Sarah Alderson

Conspiracy is hands-down one of my favorite words to see in relation with a book and this book delivered on it's premise. It's a thriller with enough suspense to make me think of my favorite spy movies, balanced with a duo that I quickly found myself rooting for. I was on the edge of my seat every step of the way, and Sarah Alderson definitely has a way of capturing your attention.
(Side note: I'm sure not all hackers are attractive boys, but YA authors can keep them coming please.)


5. Places No One Knows by Brenna Yovanoff

Places No One Knows a contemporary YA with touch of whimsy, seeing as Waverly accidentally dreams herself into Marshall's room. Brenna Yovanoff's writing takes a little getting used to, but this whole book is worth it. I'm a sucker for a well-written couple, and these two characters are meant for each other. I might have gotten misty-eyed at the end, which shows how much I felt for these characters.

6. Inferno (Blood for Blood #2) by Catherine Doyle

I just posted a gushing review where I waxed poetic about this book, but in black and white, Luca Falcone is perfect fictional boyfriend material and you should snag a copy of this series immediately. Mafia and romance are a pretty enticing pair, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Also Sophie and Luca are banter goals and I can't believe this book isn't read more because it should be.

7. Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers

This book tackles the heavy subject of child abuse, but the romance is very poignant and sweet. It's the story of a deaf girl and a lead singer of a chart-topper band, a rather mismatched pair, but one that really touched my heart.

8. The Year We Fell Apart by Emily Martin

In a nutshell, this was a contemporary YA that made me sob towards the end. This book is pretty heavy with the angst and heartbreak, but it's also hopeful, as you see Harper picking up the pieces of her life, even if Declan might not be in the cards for her. Also Declan is a sweetheart and the ending made me cry with some pretty resounding messages about forgiveness. It's different from a lot of contemporary YA romances I've read in that it's not a clean tidy mess, but a wreckage of emotions that I adored.

10 comments:

  1. I PROMIE I WILL GET TO MOST OF THESE SOMEDAY IF NOT ALL! Every trilogy and Summer Skin and The Year We Fell Apart (which I already bought because of you haha) and Blood for Blood will all be on the agenda sometime <3 I can't wait for all the amazing girls and cute and smexy guys and lots of tears to be shed ;* Also, I remember you and Sue gushing about Don't Touch and I've completely forgotten about it rip. Need to remedy this 100%! And ofc I looooove Sarah's writing :') Totally need to get to her YA stuff too sometime :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siiri!! You definitely to get on the boat with the Aussie books and I know you'll get to The Year We Fell Apart someday :) I'm rooting for you to get to all of these books Siiri I believe in you <33

      Delete
  2. Don't Touch made my list, too! I love it so much; great to see I'm not alone.

    My TTT: http://bookworm716.blogspot.com/2016/07/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-books-with.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I really enjoyed Don't Touch so I'm glad to see other people adding it to their list :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome diverse picks here! I have seen Don't Touch Me around the blogosphere and I am very intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't Touch is an excellent read! And I'm glad you think so, these books are all very underrated!

      Delete
  4. I recently bought all three books in the Every trilogy and I can't wait to dive into it! I absolutely love anything that's Sherlock-inspired and I've only heard amazing things about this series!

    Jenna @ Reading with Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Every trilogy is brilliant and I do hope you enjoy it! I wish it would get more credit and I'm always glad to see more people reading it :)

      Delete
  5. I think you're right when you say these books need to be hyped more-- I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I hadn't seen any of the books you featured before this post! Of your choices, I think Don't Touch interests me the most. I haven't read Hamlet, but I did like Macbeth (kind of irrelevant but still Shakespeare...:') ). Lovely post!

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Claire! Don't Touch is a gorgeous book, I really do hope you enjoy it and it's the loveliest ode to Hamlet, maybe you'll be interested in the original if you like this book? :)

      Delete