Saturday, January 16, 2016

Hello 2016, Let's Get Down to Business


As you should know, it's a new year. 2016. New beginnings and new opportunities. And as much as I would like to say I'm immune to the hopeful spirit of the new year, it's too infectious not to affected. And so I have penned a list of resolutions, or more ambitions, that will hopefully keep me on track instead of, well, slothing my way through life.

So without futher ado, here are the goals and such that I am aspiring to.

1. Get a handle on scheduling and writing posts beforehand.

If you follow my blog, you can probably discern that no, I am not a careful planner of any sort. Most of my reviews are written in a floundering heap, written feverishly the day before I post them. It's a terribly ineffective method, and this year I've promised myself that I will not fall into this trap, despite the tardiness of this post. (Not quite a winning factor, but let's move forward, shall we?)

2. Review books before jumping to start the next one.

I'm a serial reader. Jumping from book to book without taking a breath to stop and smell the flowers is a skill I've acquired through difficult time constraints and busy schedules. This of course, means that I often leave books with a simple few sentences and the cursory "review to come" on Goodreads, which usually ends up staying that way for months. I even have a shelf for not-yet-reviewed books that has books I read in February. It's come to the point where I must carefully reread each book when I come down to writing a review, because it has been so long since I first read it. So, this year, I'm trying hard not to fall back into bad habits, but we'll see how the rest of the year goes.

3. Work on features and other types of posts behind simple reviews.

I've tried working on features before, but the vast majority of blog posts I've crafted are reviews. I do enjoy writing reviews, but many times my favorite posts on other blogs are discussion posts, which I find fascinating to read. There are so many interesting topics to discuss in the bookish world, and when I do get the courage, I'd like to share mine.

On a different note, reviews can be quite time-consuming to read and write, thus I want to work on posts that differ a bit from the classic review, and yet offer the same experience as a review.


So those are my new years resolutions for this blog. May 2016 shine bright for all of us, and I hope I can look back on this post at the end of the year and be proud of myself. 

  

4 comments:

  1. YAY ERI!!!! You got this <3 I'm totally behind you on everything and I really need to get into the game regularly now no just so that I feel like blogging but won't actually get around doing it. For review things -- when I was heavily reviewing like 2-3 times a week, I liked keeping a reading journal where I wrote random short thoughts so that if it had been months from reading it, I could still write a review based on those thoughts without having to spend time thinking what I thought at the time or re-reading it. It's a neat way to keep tabs imo. Right now I mostly review on GR and write my thoughts down in a short-ish way and if I decide to pub it on my blog then I'll maybe add some things to it or just put a few mini reviews together :P I hope this helps <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siiri!! Your support means the world and this is such great advice! I always forget to record things as I read, it makes it so much harder later on but this would make life soo much more simpler!

      Delete
  2. Hi Eri! *waves*
    I love reading discussion posts (or any posts that talk about anything - whether they're about books or not), and I can't wait to read yours! I don't really schedule posts myself, but it's something that I want to start doing. I feel like it would really help.

    Great post, Eri, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts! :) (I'm a new follower)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and following Lyra! And as a reader I definitely enjoy reading discussion posts besides the reviews, they're so interesting. And scheduling is one of those wishful things that I mean to do all the time and don't haha.

      Delete