Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Suspended In November: Where Thanksgiving Is Synonymous With Sleep


I haven't led much of an exciting life recently, in fact notably I saw snow falling for maybe the first time in my arguably short existence, the complications of growing up in an area where snow is nonexistent unless you are one of those people who go up in the winter to go skiing, which I am not, if you count my one disastrous trip many winters ago. On the other end, Christmas decorations have been hung up in my dorm, where my suitemates and I have hung up ornaments in the hall. It's quite pretty, and the photo on the side does not do it any justice.

School is a nightmare, as you can see from my title, I have been plagued with poor sleep especially since Daylight Savings Time ended here. I spent an absolute deplorable two weeks waking myself up at 7am instead of the much more comfortable 8am, no matter how late I went to sleep at, without an alarm. Horrid experience, to say the least, until my body finally understood that Daylight Savings Time is over, and I went back to my not-so-excellent sleeping habits, that is until Thanksgiving break last week, where I almost slept the entire week away. I am now in crisis mode, since I had planned on it being the week of accomplishment and hyperproductivity, but alas, that did not happen.

As for literary updates, I seem to have developed a terrible habit of buying books almost impulsively, as the sorry state of my bank account testifies to. I entirely blame this on the fact that I have been more aware of the book community, both by being a blogger and by the fact that I follow the community quite diligently on twitter. Add that to the cherished friends I have made in the past year, and I am an easy target for the hype and allure of newly published books.

Some recent acquisitions this month include Illuminae, The Young Elites, Winter, and Soundless (courtesy of Owlcrate, which I ordered for the first time this month). Add to this the monster haul that I ordered from the annual Black Friday sale on BookOutlet, and I have quite a lot of reading to catch up on. I also read a few books, though not enough to be quite proud of, and not nearly enough enjoyment to satisfy my tastes. These include Tell the Wind and Fire, which was not quite as phenomenonal as I wanted it to be considering Sarah Rees Brennan is one of my favorite authors though my tastes may change by the time I write my review since it's teetering between stars; For the Record, which lasted an appalling chapter before I realized my inner bitterness was pooling over and was thus swiftly abandoned; Steal Me, which was as witty and fun as Layne's books usually are; With Every Breath, which did not suit my tastes and I realized the utter depth of my callousness because I couldn't muster up the polite amount of empathy for these two characters; and my favorite of the month: Long Way Down, the penultimate book in the Addicted Series, extended edition, which I adored and cried over a ton, this is one of those emotional ones that mercilessly destroy your heart and build it back up. As part of one of my most cherished series, this book will forever hold a special place in my heart. (Side note: this is a not-so-subtle reminder that you, my friend, should also embrace this venue into the tremendous sway of profound character development and life-investing worth romantic relationships, among other qualities.)

In terms of other media, I have the unfortunate terrible habit of watching one too many tv shows, or at least, starting them. I'm in the habit of going back to watch older shows, and such the shows I watch vary quite in age and genre. As of now, I just started the very well-received Jessica Jones, which is as exceptional as I expected, with a dark and gritty undertone often overlooked in the beloved Marvel cinematic features onscreen; The O.C., which was a purely impulsive choice, seeing as I was tempted by watching videos of cute TV show couples on Youtube, a truly deplorable habit, but it's quite amusing and I am breezing through it, a welcome change from the gritty realities of other shows; Criminal Minds, one of the aforementioned "gritty realities," a show that makes me question the safety of well, pretty much any location to live in; and Sherlock, which I'm ashamed to say I've never seen until my roommate finally talked me into starting it last month.

A well-deserved adieu to November with its relentless exams and sleep deprivation, and hello to December, where the daunting finals await me. I hope you have all been well, and let me know, have you seen any of these shows or read these books? I wish you all a very lovely December, the season of holidays and snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment