Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Fairytale Retellings I've Read/Want To Read

*Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Fairytale retellings are one of my favorite kinds of books and I am always eager to read the twists and turns that authors come up with to breathe new life into these age-old tales. Here are a few of my favorites, and a few that I have been dying to read.
If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairytales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairytales. - Albert Einstein


1. The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
This particular retelling of Alice in Wonderland was whimsical and fun. The idea of imagination being magic, one that could be used for good or evil, and the various twists on the familiar features in the original was absolutely charming.

2. Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross
I loved this one, because of the town that it is set in: Beau Rivage, a magical and cursed place. I also loved the twist on the characters in the story, who are doomed to whatever fairytale destiny they have been born with. Some of the scenes, especially the ones with my favorite character Blue, hurt my heart and it was hard not to enjoy this magical read.

3.Cinder by Marissa Meyer
No list of fairytale retellings would be complete without this book, which is the first in the popular Lunar Chronicles. Although I enjoy this series, Cinder, based on the ever classic Cinderella, is by far my favorite. There is something endearing about Cinder, the main character, and her heart and courage in the face of the swirling obstacles that face her in these books; and how Marissa has taken the fairytale and transformed it by setting it in a futuristic world that is vivid and fascinating.

4. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Cruel Beauty is a retelling I enjoyed, because of the different shades of morality each of the characters had and the complex emotions that twist our actions as a result. And Rosamund Hodge's writing is gorgeous, which made this book a pleasure to read.

5. Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge
I have been looking forward to this book due to two reasons: it was based on not only one, but two fairytales, and I enjoyed her other book Cruel Beauty. Little Red Riding Hood and The Girl with No Hands. I have never read a book based off of the latter tale, and so I am keen on finding out how the themes of it will be incorporated with Little Red Riding Hood, specifically the idea of cannibalism that the author explored.

6. Tell the Wind and the Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan
This is one of my most highly anticipated reads for 2016 because Sarah Rees Brennan wrote the Lynburn Legacy series, which I adore and I have been excited for this book for quite a while. I've read A Tale of Two Cities, and I'm curious as to how the book will incorporate the themes of such a classic, and doppelgangers always add a rather nice twist to things.

7. The Weight of Feathers by Anna-Marie McLemore
While Romeo and Juliet has never really resounded with me, I am always interested in retellings of it, a rather ironic statement. This one features two acrobat performing families, and I'm very interested in finding out more about the main characters who will doom themselves to love, as all Romeo and Juliet-inspired characters will end up doing.

8. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
I have had this book on my tbr list for quite a while now, but I have been hesitant on buying it, because I have heard how devastating it can be from some of my friends. Peter Pan is always a joy, but knowing what we all know about Peter and Wendy, you can already see how this will inevitably end tragically, as the synopsis seems to hint, and I hope to have my heart crushed soon with this.

2 comments:

  1. There's a couple of those on my list! Great picks!
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! And likewise, your list was great as well :)

      Delete